History starts here
Built in 1829, the Gorgas House Museum is the oldest building on the University of Alabama’s campus. It originally served as a dining hall and steward’s residence, and later as a lecture space, post office, and campus hospital. The Gorgas House is one of four main buildings to survive the destruction of campus in 1865 near the end of the Civil War.
Now, named for the Gorgas family that occupied the home from 1879-1953, the Museum houses original Gorgas furnishings, memorabilia, and a collection of 19th century artifacts. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.